Monday, December 22, 2008

Best Albums of 2008

I break my silence to give you my favorite albums of 2008. You do not have to agree with me, but this is what I liked. So let's get this going...

I will start with number 10 and count down.

10. My 10th fav. album of 2008 is Oracular Spectacular by MGMT (pronounced management). This album beat out all the honorable mentions I will list later. I just recently started to listen to the album, and other than maybe 2 tracks I love all of it. It has all the synth I could ever want and the lyrics are witty. This album is great to play at a party and makes a wonderful headphone record. I appreciated the subtle things they do while listening to this album while on the train. Tracks to Listen to: Time to Pretend and Kids.

9. Number 9 is The Stand Ins by Okkervil River. I loved The Stage Names and this album was a continuation. Okkervil River is one of the best bands playing right now and this album was amazing. It is definitely a huge step musically from previous records, but I still think Black Sheep Boy is their best. Never the less great album. Tracks to Listen to: Lost Coastlines and Pop Lie.

8. This one goes to Max Richter. He is a classical composer that makes beautiful instrumental music. He is heavily influenced by Brian Eno and adds many different sounds to his already complex and awe inspiring arrangements. Tracks have additional white noise and radio static added to give a very different feel. The really neat thing about this album is the concept. He wrote these short, between 1 to 3 min., songs to be played on cell phones. That is right, songs meant to be ringtones, and these would never ruin a movie. This is an album I can listen to anytime of the day. Check out his older albums too, they are just as good. Tracks that would be my ringtone: In Louisville at 7 and Lullaby from the West Coast Sleepers.

7. Evil Urges by My Morning Jacket is my pick. A lot like Okkervil River I liked their previous albums more, but their new one is such a great step forward as well. The mixing of styles they provide on this record is amazing. They sound tighter and more representative of what a live show is like. Very solid record, and who can beat Jim James' voice. Some can imitate (more on that later) but there is no other frontman like him. Tracks to Listen to: Evil Urges and Highly Suspicious.

6. Rounding out the bottom half is a great band from portland called Portugal, the Man. Their album is Censored Colors and has a wide range of feels from song to song. I love the gang vocals that are in almost every song and the huge sound that is on this record. I heard of this band from the Song of the Day on NPR and I am very happy that I got the album. I think it may start stronger than it ends, but it is an album you can get lost in. Tracks to Listen to: Lay Me Back Down and Colors.

5. The first album in the top half is Furr by Blitzen Trapper. This is a really fun band that Derek saw open for Iron and Wine. According to Derek the front man is very Bruce Springstein like. I love delivery of the lyrics and the fun jam sections. It uses some great organ parts and just seems very complete. I expect great things from this band in the future so look forward to seeing them in 2010 or maybe even 2009. Tracks to Listen to: God and Suicide and Gold for Bread.

4. Coming to the business end brings Fate by Dr. Dog. I am a huge Dr. Dog fan and I love their sound. It is very classic 1950's sounding at times maybe even 1920's, like vaudeville. The lyrics are great a catchy, this spells success in my mind. There songs change as they progress and they are one of the few bands consistently making interesting music album after album, and even song after song. One of their best albums to date, if not the best. Tracks to Listen to: The Old Days and The Rabbit, The Bat, and The Reindeer.

3. Bronze metal goes to Fleet Foxes and their self-titled debut. The front man has a very similar sounding voice as Jim James, but the way it mixes with the lush orchestration on this album is what sets it apart. A great album for sure with great track after great track. I love when albums have a general feel from song to song (a theme you will notice with the top 2 as well) and this albums has a great feel. They are going to have to great things to follow this album up. Tracks to Listen to: White Winter Hymnal and Oliver James.

2. The first loser is 3 Rounds and a Sound by Blind Pilot. Another Portland band that is making great music. I found this album in late 2008 but it is an instant classic. Earlier I had been listening to the Dodos a lot and for Blind Pilot is a better version of the guitar and drummer band. They add other sounds when needed, such as keys, horns, and strings, but the base is acoustic and drums. It has a very loose feel but every song hits me. Great song writing and style overall. There are so many songs to choose from for this album but, Tracks to Listen to: One Red Thread and The Bitter End.

1. And the Best Album of 2008 is by far Bon Iver. One could argue that For Emma, Forever Ago is a 2007 album but I count it as 2008. I saw him play at Pitchfork and it was completely moving. The story of this album is Justin Vernon (the man that is Bon Iver) moved to a cabin in Wisconsin following the break up of his band. The plan was to just take some time off and live for a while. While living alone he wrote nine of the most beautiful tracks I have ever heard. The sounds is very bare bones and honest. This is what sets this album apart from the rest, the sheer gut wrenching feelings one gets from the beginning. Bon Iver takes you to a place instantly. It may not be healthy to stay there for a while, but it is magic that he can take you there. Everything he does is perfect on this album so please take a listen if you have not. Tracks to Listen for: Skinny Love (and amazing song) and For Emma.

So if you take my Tracks to Listen to and mix them up anyway you like you get my mixtape for the year. Honorable Mentions (or albums just not as good as MGMT's) are I Can't Go On, I'll Go On by The Broken West; In Ghost Colous by Cut Copy; Narrow Stairs by Death Cab for Cutie; Visiter by The Dodos; Re-Arrange Us by Mates of State and Parc Avenue by Plants and Animals.

Feel free to disagree with me, but this is what I think.

4 comments:

Jeph Porter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeph Porter said...

I can't believe you put MGMT (which is not pronounced management, its pronounced M-G-M-T thank you very much) at 10? I love that album to death, easily in the top five of the year for me. But then again I haven't heard ANYTHING ELSE on your list....so.....what do I know?

courtney said...

I somehow came across your blog while "hopping about," if you will, blogger. First of all, I'm glad I'm not the only one who actually thinks about this, though I've never really made a "Best of" list. T'would be too difficult I think. Applause to you for being able not only to nail down the top ten, but to arrange them in order. I must agree with you on many of your picks; MGMT, Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver, Okkervil River...and I must admit you've got me stumped on a few. I know I would have also thrown in "Crystal Castles." Yes, electronic, but for it's genre, quite spectacular! What are you up to these days anyway?!?!

Anonymous said...

Dear Nathan, I don't really care at all about your music, but I do care about you. :) That being said.. just wanted to give you a little comment to a) tell you I miss you and b) give you the link to my new blog. I am starting anew. Out with the old, in with the... danget. I was trying to be artsy and non-cliche but it didn't work. Anyway, I love ya.